Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Full Day

This day has been a busy one! After a slow start this morning we headed out, went down to the water and hopped a ferry across the Bosphorus. It was a beautiful day! The sky was clear and the sun was welcome--we may not see it for the next few days with the rain that's expected.

We made it to the office where I'll be working during my time in Istanbul, and I was introduced to a bunch of people. We didn't waste any time brainstorming about website ideas as well as getting me to a point where I could start playing with the site to test out some of those ideas. Looks like it will be fun!

I'm already enjoying the food. Lunch was a doner kebab from a quick little street restaurant, and it brought back a lot of good memories. Later on, we met up with the speakers for the conference this week, and after a short walk through a beautiful street market, we sat down indoors at a nice restaurant where I had a dish called "alti ezmeli kebab", which is a plate of beef cutlets over cooked tomatoes. Delicious.

I've been enjoying the many conversations with folks so far, and many are thought provoking. I am appreciating being around folks whose main focus is making Christ known, who are thinking big and dreaming about some really cool ways of getting the word out. For us, it's going to start with a redesign of the website, but it really comes down to the people involved who are making themselves available and praying and listening together. I'm learning a lot, and it's exciting.

I took some pictures while we were out and about today! See the album here.

3 comments:

amanda + daniel said...

Its great to be following your trip, Dan! Do you find that your Turkish has come back pretty easily?

Dan Eisinger said...

Yes, it's pretty easy for me to switch to Turkish and to start conversations, but I run out of words and draw a blank sometimes... but feels pretty comfortable and it is slowly coming back!

Unknown said...

You're making me hungry!